Saturday, January 11, 2014

Restaurant Review - Cabo Flats - Delray Beach

I have been waiting for this place to open for a long time. I have known it was coming for almost 2 years now. You see there are no Mexican restaurants in West Boca at all. This place is located in the Delray Marketplace center which is in West Delray Beach, a very short drive from West Boca. It had great potential to be my go to Mexican place just North of my border. I met a friend there for lunch yesterday. It being a typical January day in Florida we decided to eat outside. The tables were shaded and had sort of comfortable wicker chairs. There were tons of flies, which we kind of got used to by the end of the meal. They are going to have to figure out some way to deal with this because it is notable in the amount of flies, and their persistence throughout a meal. The place looks pretty cool, surrounded by 2 rows of outside seating. There is an outside bar as well, and this has bad potential. During the course of our meal one person sat at the bar and began smoking. Instantly the whole outside seating area became his ashtray. Luckily he finished up and left with just that one offense. But if it was crowded or at night it would definitely be a problem. I hate smoking and I hate it even more when I am eating. The inside has high ceilings, is very colorful and had some racy artwork (like a couple of pictures of skulls).

Our waitress was nice enough but after letting us look at the menus for a while she finally informed us that they didn't have any mahi and wouldn't for a couple of days. Even though we told her it was our first time there she told us this like we should have known for some reason. We started out with the chips and salsa. It was excellent, a little spicy and very tomato based. The chips were good and had a strange sprinkling of spices on them which would fall off if you weren't careful. We fought off the flies and finished it without a problem. My solo shrimp taco appetizer came with the wrong shell. The waitress sold me on a soft taco shell I was unfamiliar with, a corn option. She said it was healthier and I had never tried one so I threw caution into the wind. It came with a lettuce shell instead. I sent it back and it quickly came back right and once I added the sauce from my burrito (which I had by then) it was pretty good. My friend had some sort of pork thing which he liked. I then had the chicken burrito. It was very good, although my request to not have cheese or peppers in it were ignored. It was sort of dry, but there was a tasty red sauce that was a little spicy that made it work. My friend had some kind of stuffed pepper thing that was surrounded by refried beans. He liked it a lot. Since it was lunch we didn't have anything good to drink or any desert but it was worth noting that 2 older women behind us had large margaritas. One was a redish color and the other was frozen and looked sort of orange in color. Very impressive looking! At least 2 peope passing by commented on them and we had to talk to them about them as well. They were good sports and seemed to enjoy the notoriety. The food was very good, reasonably priced and the only game in the area for miles. I will definitely be back and would strongly recommend it if you can deal with the flies. They are inside and out since there are no real windows surrounding the place. You have been warned. Give it a try if you dare and let me know what you think. I would also love to know about your favorite places! Thanks for reading as always.

Orin Rosenfeld
Rosenfeld Realty Advisors
9858 Glades Rd., Suite 209
Boca Raton, FL 33434 Phone: 561-756-1665
Fax: 561-470-0707

No comments:

Post a Comment