Friday, January 10, 2014

Restaurant Review - 13 American Tables - Boca Raton

The name sounds odd but this place was an amazing surprise. One of our close friends who live in East Boca told us about this place and said they had heard good things. For some reason I was under the wrong impression that it was a formal dining place with multiple courses. It wasn't and that is not a bad thing. The place is located on East Palmetto Park Rd. East of US 1 in a free standing building. The lack of parking was handled with valet parking which I hate. The place looked to have more than 13 tables inside, but we were lucky enough to sit outside. The evening and weather were excellent so that really added to the whole experience. Enough of the foreplay, let's get down to business. The food and drink.

Drink was great as our friends brought a bottle of wine with them. They said they had heard there was a very reasonable corkage fee there. Although I paid for the bill I cannot tell you what that was, but I am sure it was less than the bottle of Caymus they brought! We had 3 appetizers to start with: house made potato chips, macaroni and cheese and some sort of spinach with beans. I was too busy being unhealthy to try the spinach but the others were awesome. The chips were light and not too oily. They had just the right amount of salt and were quickly consumed. The real star of the evening was the mac & cheese. It was very rich with shell pasta and covered in lightly toasted breadcrumbs. We were so happy with it we made sure to order another to come with dinner. We all agreed it was some of the best if not the best we had ever had. Dinner was not the highlight for me. I got a grouper special in a tomato based sauce with vegetables. It seemed more like seabass to me in terms of texture, but it was still good. My wife got a shrimp dish which I tried and thought was OK, little bland. One my friends had the steak which he loved and I can't remember what his wife had! They were ready to throw in the towel after all this but I insisted on getting desert (no real surprise there). We went with the pear apple bread pudding and the brownie. There were both great and while they didn't have any desert wines, they did have a couple of port options so I wasn't left without. This place was excellent, reasonably priced and even better when you can sit outside. Give it a try and let me know what you think. I would also love to know about your favorite places! Thanks for reading as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment