Monday, June 30, 2014

TRI RAIL TO PBIA?? UNDER CONSIDERATION AGAIN

TRI RAIL TO PBIA?? UNDER CONSIDERATION AGAIN


Boy this would be a big one for us. Instead of a proposed stop that would leave passengers going to Palm Beach International Airport a half mile from the terminal thus requiring shuttle buses, a direct link to the airport has finally been proposed. This would be the home run of mass transit, and also hopefully become the new normal when proposing a tri-rail station. You see I don't think I am alone in thinking that I am not talking tri-rail and shuttle buses. I actually tried it once with a friend to go to a Marlins game in Miami. We had to take the Tri-Rail, then a Metro Mover (it is the Dade County subway but it is above ground) to a shuttle bus. It wasn't easy and not something I would do again. No I think people are with me in believing that each stop should be directly at the location that is intended. And this would help tourism for sure, and bring us inline with Miami. They just got a $2 billion dollar transportation hub that will have tracks for Tri-Rail, Amtrack, intercity and future high-speed rail service. Sadly, this direct link to PBIA is not a current priority for Tri-Rail, only something that is being studied more closely. It would be amazing to get something like this done, to be on the forefront of mass transportation (a dream indeed in South Florida), to achieve something that even New York doesn't have - a direct rail link to the airport. I will be watching this one closely and hope that South Florida can evolve into a mass transit friendly place that would be the model for other cities to follow. Ambitious I know but one must have hope. As always thanks for reading and have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment