Thursday, June 12, 2014

ROSENFELD RESTAURANT REVIEW – MAX’S HARVEST

ROSENFELD RESTAURANT REVIEW – MAX’S HARVEST

We had heard good things about this place for some time. It didn’t hurt that Dennis Max has been around forever in South Florida, connected with one quality restaurant after another. So although the menu didn’t blow me away when I checked it out online, I agreed with the Wife’s choice and dutifully headed to Delray with her. Flexibility on her part allowed us to sit in the garden area, which although a little crowded at first, ended up being lovely. I really liked how they handled their wines by the glass, giving diners an option for a 6 or 8 once glass. Armed with an 8 once St. Suppery Sauvignon Blanc, we dived into the food. We started out with some goat cheese croquettes, which were fried and on top of a peppery tomato sauce. Goat cheese was very light, and these were very tasty. I had an heirloom tomato salad with an herb vinaigrette that they said takes 3 days to make somehow, and wife had a garden salad. One of the things about this restaurant that makes it somewhat unique is that they try and use local ingredients and organic vegetables and meats without hormones. That said, the salads were amazing, and filled with unusual stuff, like pumpkin seeds, corn, etc. At some point in the middle I realized that the goat cheese would go well in the salad and threw some in there, a very wise decision. For entrees, I had the grilled swordfish and the wife a burger and fries. They were kind enough to blacken the fish for me, which was accompanied by lentils, pomegranate seeds, fennel and grapefruit. Did you know that fennel tastes exactly like black licorice? I do now, and it is something I do not like, but since it looks like sliced apples it is easy to remove. That was the only downside to this dish, which was amazing. The different flavors were perfect together. Wife liked her burger, and we also had some miso glazed brussel sprouts which were very good. For desert, I went with the New Orleans style cinnamon donuts, which came with crème anglaise and berry compote. Wife went with a key lime crème brulee. These deserts were excellent! While they didn’t have any desert wines by the glass, they did have a decent variety of ports and I was happy with my Sandeman’s 20 year Tawny. I would strongly recommend this place and look forward to returning soon. I would love to know about your favorite restaurant or a great place you have been recently. As always thanks for reading and have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment