Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Review D’Angelo Pizza Wine Bar & Tapas




Over the weekend I tried this new place out in Delray Beach. It is really off the beaten path on Jog Rd. just North of Linton. The small center it is in is best known for mainstay Henry’s. The place where the actual restaurant is has turned over many times in the past couple of years. Most recently Solita, it was previously Gotham City and a few other concepts before D’Angelo’s. It is worth mentioning a little background on this place. The mother restaurant is located on Palmetto Park Rd. East of Federal and has been a mainstay and one of the finest restaurants in Boca for many years (I just went there for my first time a few weeks ago which is what lead me to this place). There is a wine bar/tapas concept in both Ft. Lauderdale and Weston so this is the 3rd location. That tells me that these people know what they are doing and that they must be good at it.

The place is very modern looking and has a huge outside seating area where we sat. The service was very good and the wine selection impressive by the glass and bottle. But most importantly, the food was excellent. We started with 2 pizzas, a regular margarita and a whole wheat margarita both with half mushroom (I was responsible for this, I like mushrooms on my pizza). The whole wheat pizza was the best I have ever had, and was even better than the regular. This is no small praise, as I consider myself a pizza expert. My credentials are growing up in New York and a solid track record of trial and error covering the globe. We also had 2 shrimp special appetizers, one with bruschetta and a tomato sauce with beans and the one I had on a skewer with white wine, bread crumbs and olive oil. The skewers were excellent, and my wife enjoyed the other but not as much. We had a couple of minestrone soups which were great. We also had some veal meatballs and turkey and chicken meatballs. My parents enjoyed the veal but we were disappointed by the other meatballs. I quickly decided this was because they were served in a broth and beans. We got some extra tomato sauce and presto they were all of a sudden excellent. If you thought we were done, guess again. Had a spinach salad with salmon and a couple of orders of gnocchi with tomato sauce and smoked mozzarella. My dad actually was disappointed with the salad, thinking the fish was overcooked and the salad oily. But the gnocchi was great and served in little pans with handles that I really liked. I think they baked it.

After a short break it was onto desert. My mom ordered the lemon tart, we got a table Nutella pizza, a piece of chocolate cake and a couple of homemade gelatos for my girls. I tried the gelato, which was really good, the tart which was OK and the Nutella pizza which was very good. They also had Taylor 20 year tawny port, a huge plus to go with the deserts. Everyone was very impressed with all aspects of the meal. We were happy to discover that they also do take out. We all look forward to coming back here and are very thankful that this is pretty close to our house. The only downside is that they don’t take reservations but they did for us because we had a large party. I would be curious to see what you think or if you have any suggestions on places that I need to try!


And don't forget.... Rosenfeld Realty Advisors represents a fantastic Restaurant for Rent in Boca Raton.. Check it out.

Orin Rosenfeld
President
Rosenfeld Realty Advisors
9858 Glades Rd. Suite 209
Boca Raton, FL 33434

Phone: 561-756-1665

No comments:

Post a Comment