Friday, August 1, 2014

MICROSOFT LAYS OFF 18,000 PEOPLE BUT THAT IS A GOOD THING?


MICROSOFT LAYS OFF 18,000 PEOPLE BUT THAT IS A GOOD THING?

I really couldn't resist this one. Microsoft has virtually no competition and seems to just print money. Now they are laying off 18,000 people, a staggering amount. But this article takes a very positive look at the possible result of this, and it is very interesting. Once freed from the large corporation, many of the Microsoft alumni have gone on to start successful companies. The thought is that this could really invigorate that area in Seattle, with talent spreading out and doing all kinds of good things. But why is Microsoft doing this? I have a personal story here that I think is quite applicable. Over a month and a half ago I started getting messages saying that my Office product was going to expire and that I had to call them to renew my product key. On June 4th I did that, paying them $99 for the privilege. Since that date I have been unable to use my Microsoft Outlook, having to rely on web mail (thank you Google!). After all this time they still haven't fixed it, takes 20 minutes at least to leave them a message and they missed 6 consecutive call back appointments in a row. After all this, they sent me a survey to see how the service was. After giving them the lowest scores in history and trying to email them, I have had no response. So maybe they just have too many employees to do things, even the most basic, correctly. Every person I spoke to from there, and I spoke with at least 12 people over that time, was from India. Given that they work on much lower salaries than the American workers, it is not surprising that there were no layoffs for their Indian personnel. They work on that time zone, not the American time zone, making it impossible to deal with issues in the morning. It is hard to believe that a company this large could provide such terrible service but I can assure you it is true. The problem is still not fixed. As a consumer, there is nowhere to turn, no competitor to jump to. It is awful and really makes me want to start a company to compete with them but alas I am just a real estate broker. Hopefully someone much smarter and with more resources than me with take up that challenge and we will all benefit. As always thanks for reading and have a great day.



No comments:

Post a Comment