Wednesday, April 15, 2015

ROSENFELD RESTAURANT REVIEW: CHANSON

Every once in a while I will find a nugget of a restaurant through all the reading I do. This was the case last night when we visited the Royal Blues Hotel in Deerfield Beach, home to Chanson. This hotel is the first Relais & Chateaux in Florida, a chain known for exceptional lodging and dining. It is owned by a guy named Edward Walson, a Hollywood filmmaker and Broadway producer/director. It is rare when someone just wants to have something that is of the highest quality and really doesn’t care about profits. That is the case here at this 44 seat restaurant, that caught my eye by saying it had 5 star service and dining like New York City. The look of the place is amazing, specifically a 1,500 gallon fish tank on the ceiling which cannot be ignored. Everything is very chic and cool looking. It is right next to the ocean.

There is not a large menu and the staff will not make any changes to the dishes, fortunately they didn't need to. After some initial frustration, I finally settled on 2 entrees instead of the normal appetizer and entrĂ©e. But the first one was scallops, so it was not huge. But it was amazing, prepared with a sort of Indian spice (madras curry porridge) and vegetables. My brother Seth had a Maine lobster dish and my friend Bob had the Ahi tuna. While there were not tons of wines by the glass, the options they had were good. The entrees didn't disappoint either, I went with the black grouper, which was a snapper substitute instead, served with vegetables, brother had the Bronzino and Bob went with the tagliatele with san marzano tomatoes. While I loved my snapper, I was particularly impressed with the pasta. Sounds like the most simple thing but it was exceptional. Everyone loved their food and we were really impressed by now. Given that there were only 4 desert choices we decided to get them all despite being only a party of 3. I went with the s’mores, brother had the lemon meets pistachio and Bob with the lift me up which was an espresso sponge cake with mousse and caramel. We shared the Laura’s Pumpkin Pie. An amazing surprise occurred when I realized that they had one of the best desert wines I have ever had, called Gold by Deerfield Ranch Winery. We got a bottle of that and there was none left before long. This was one of the best restaurants I have been to in Florida or anywhere for that matter. If you want to treat yourself to an amazing experience you need to try this place. I cannot wait to return! As always thanks for reading and have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment